I am a Los Angeles-based graphic designer and illustrator, with over ten years of experience in branding, marketing design, merchandise design, and print production management.
BLACK MAST — SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Owner, Graphic Designer, Illustrator, Photographer: April 2013 – Present
- Design merchandise for entertainment clients, including Bianca Del Rio (the Season 6 winner of Emmy-winning TV Show RuPaul’s Drag Race) and San Francisco drag legends Peaches Christ and Heklina.
- Create designs and illustrations for my own line of merchandise.
- Manage relationships with third-party printers to produce quality products.
- Develop art direction for promotional product photoshoots. Edit all desired photos.
- Create cohesive suite of web and print assets for product launches to promote on black-mast.com, etsy.com, social media, and more.
- Create banners, signage and booth theming for in-person events as well as all promotional web content for the event, design takeaways and freebies for booth visitors.
- Manage stock and customer service. Manage relationships with event and convention coordinators when planning to sell or exhibit in a booth.
INDIEGOGO — SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Senior Graphic Designer (Marketing and Brand): May 2014 – June 2018
- Regularly collaborated with marketing to develop web and print assets to promote new product features, launches, flash sales, events and more. For example, the cross-channel 2015 “Holiday Favorites” initiative drove over $300,000 in funds raised on the Indiegogo platform.
- Created and managed visual assets for use across desktop and mobile versions of the website, as well as social media, blog, print marketing collateral, and more.
- Designed environmental signage, print collateral, and visual assets for Indiegogo events including banners, printed takeaways, gift packs, web assets promoting our event appearance and more (CES 2016 – 2018, International trade shows, Happy Hours, etc.)
- Designed PDF educational materials for Indiegogo campaigners to use to help their campaign succeed and guide them through the steps they should take after their campaign ends (such as production and fulfillment).
- Managed and enforced brand guidelines to ensure consistency of the Indiegogo brand across many channels and teams, including 3rd party designers and in-house freelancers.
HNTB CORPORATION – OAKLAND, CA
Graphic Designer, Marketing: Dec. 2010 – Oct. 2011; June 2013 – May 2014
Designed detailed project proposal layouts and infographics for architecture/engineering projects. Completed five winning proposals valued at over $10 million. Coordinated with senior-level executives, project managers, and marketing staff.
DOGPATCH TECHNOLOGY – SAN FRANCISCO, CA
UI Designer, Graphic Designer: April 2012 – June 2013
Contract employment for San Francisco-based tech company. Established branding with new logo and business cards. Redesigned iOS application Appointment Buddy in December 2012. Worked closely with product manager and engineer to establish appropriate UI Design for Appointment Buddy and three other in-progress mobile applications. Occasional web design.
HOT MESS LOVES YOU – NASHVILLE, TN / CHICO, CA
Art Director, Graphic Designer, Illustrator: 2009 – 2013
Contract work for Nashville, TN Pop Rock Band. Branding & identity, album packaging, flyers & posters, banners, stickers, t-shirts, and press kit.
EXPERT COMMUNICATIONS, INC. – SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Graphic Designer: October 2011 – April 2013
Designed email marketing communications, landing pages, web banners, direct mail advertisements and rebranded ECI. Revised documents for print and web based on client feedback, on tight deadlines. Working alongside creative directors and account executives to ensure accurate delivery of assets. Clients included Adobe, Autodesk, Taleo, and UnionBank.
THE CREATIVE GROUP – SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Graphic Designer and Production Artist: Sept. 2010 – Jan. 2012
Former Client: HNTB — Original contract placement. See above for highlights and description.
Former Client: TBW (Terris, Barnes and Walters) — Created and edited campaign collateral for political candidates across the United States to effectively influence voters during election time.
KTXL FOX40 – SACRAMENTO, CA
Graphic Artist: October 2008 – August 2010
Collaborated with editors, producers, and production assistants to prepare 20 – 40 graphics each night for the 5:30 pm and 10:00 pm newscasts. Created graphics for web and video promotions.
THE ORION (CSU CHICO’S NEWSPAPER) – CHICO, CA
January 2007 – May 2008
Art Director: Created and managed production calendars, including scheduling meetings, review sessions, and printing. Led the section designers to develop and implement cover ideas. Ensured style consistency throughout the national award-winning newspaper before preparing page files for press. Designed full-page covers for special sections.
Editorial Designer/Illustrator: Placed and formatted columns for the Opinion Section. Produced original illustrations to accompany articles throughout the paper.
Illustration, Logos & Branding, Merchandise Design, Editorial Design, Design for Marketing, Photography, Print Production Management
Proficient: Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat
Working Knowledge: WordPress, Powerpoint, SketchApp, LightRoom, AfterEffects
CSU CHICO, CHICO, CA
Fall 2005 – Fall 2007 Bachelor of Arts in Communication Design, Graphic Design Option
Publications & InterviewsGloss Magazine (June 2018) Gloss Magazine (May 2018) Brandon and Marie (Black Mast) interviewed on SOFEPod.com (June 2017) Zinefest Interview (August 2014)
Best in Show: Illustration, Packaging Design Graphic Design Student Show, CSU Chico, 2008
3rd Place: Best Features Lead Package California College Media Association, 2008
Best Editorial Designer: The Orion, 2007
Best in Show: Illustration Graphic Design Student Show, CSU Chico, 2007